Sony WH-1000XM3 - Wireless ANC Headphones - Official Thread

wireless
bluetooth
sony

Sony’s latest iteration of their top-of-the-line Bluetooth wireless active-noise-cancelling headphone, the WH-1000XM3, has been generating a lot of interest since its announcement earlier this year:

You can read more about it here, including its features and the full specifications.

With its more recent ready US availability, and various questions about it popping up, I though it was time to post an official thread for it - so here you go …

Over-Ear Bluetooth Headphones

In response to various questions about the WH-1000XM3 in this thread, and in the interests of promoting more discussion, I figured I’d post some quick measurements for them.

First here’s the raw FR plot. This was done with a standard miniDSP EARS unit, using microphone compensation only (no headphone model/compensation), driving the WH-1000XM3 via Bluetooth using AAC and aptX protocols, calibrated to 84 dB @ 300 Hz) and with 1/12 octave smoothing:

And then since questions about how loud they will play have come up a few times, I measured their maximum SPL, again via Bluetooth and using AAC and aptX protocols, at several salient frequencies using a -3 dBFS signal (so measurements could be as much as 3 dB higher than shown depending on your source settings):

The short summary of which is that they’ll play loud enough to damage your hearing even without a full-range signal.

Over-Ear Bluetooth Headphones

I owned the original WH-1000X for about a year and they worked well. Just ordered the WH-1000XM3 and look forward to sampling the improvements. My expectations for this headphone has always been based on convenience not sound quality so I have few criticisms.