Schiit Audio

schiit

As one who is an engineer, does a lot of testing at work, and does a lot of hobbyist testing at home, I like measurements, but I realize that its only a small apart of the whole story. I feel like people are so drawn to the numbers, they forget to actually listen and enjoy.

A couple years ago now, there were only a handful of us taking measurements and posting DIY stuff online. Now it seems like everyone is doing it with their own DIY tools which is wonderful and great. But now we have more strict objectivist who only look at FR curves and if it’s not HARMAN TARGET than its worthless. I find a lot of naive-ness in these type of commenters – the first one being taking a DIY tool and trying to strictly compare it to a compensated curve used on another too with factual argument, and then thinking that if its exactly like Harman Target, then it must be better than Z which is not quite Harman but slightly off – while not paying attention to other things like distortion, decay, dynamics, etc that affect how you hear things (like speed of attack reducing that mid-bass bump in the Harman Curve so that it doesnt bloat out everything).

Anyway, on Schiit Audio - I find ASR is useful for what it is trying to, but I also find that it has a cult-ish following. I mean, the first comment on the Joutenheim review was something about a bland, boring metal look – I happen to really like that unique, yet modern simple look over some generic acrylic diy box look that gets rave reviews.

5 Likes

My high school friend’s dad had a red one. I never did get to drive it, nor his GT350 fastback for some reason…

2 Likes

You weren’t able to pull a Ferris Bueller? :wink:

1 Like

That’s very well said. I couldn’t agree more.
Forgot to include the quote in both posts. Just delete if they make no sense out of context :woozy_face:

(The ASR/everyone needs to remain respectful post is my reference)

1 Like

They should give you stock in the company! :wink:

Re the Shiit stack

1 Like

Just pulled the trigger on the Loki EQ/tone control. I can see two places I might want to use it. On anything MQA where my tastes or equipment differs from the engineer’s, and in my primary system to add tone controls. It appears that my integrated amp will handle this thusly:

When the Loop out feature is used, Aux out becomes the loop out which will feed the connected components input, and Input 5 will become the loop in which will come from the output of the connected component. Please note: the loop in connectors are directly connected to the internal amplifiers as if the unit was a standalone amp with 27db of gain. The loop out is controlled by the volume control, but the loop in is not. Make sure you have all connections made properly to ensure no damage is made to your equipment.

I think that’s pretty much a preamp out / preamp in arrangemen, designed for some sort of signal processing, like maybe a tone control.

3 Likes

That’s what it sounds like to me.

0 Likes

This has been on my ‘almost buy’ list for a while. I really wish I could test one in person with my own equipment rather than order it online. I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it, as I have a degree of tone control through headphones and amps.

1 Like

I have a Loki and quite like it for certain things. I find it useful for low volume listening, where you might want the equivalent of a loudness button found on vintage Japanese amps, in effect boosting the bass and treble regions in order to compensate for their perceived loss, as per the Fletcher-Munson curves. For gaming or watching movies, a more V or U shaped FR can also be fun or useful. The bypass is transparent, so if you don’t want to add EQ there is no change to the sound nor is there any noise whatsoever. To my ears the quality of the tone controls is preferable to what I hear using the digital EQ of my music server, JRiver, although not as precise or versatile. So, I am not sure how useful it would be to adjust that notorious 6KHz peak the HD 800 are known for or the upper mid dip the Focal Elear are known for. It does work well however in adding low and sub bass to the Focal Clear, much better in my view than the bass boost of the iFi products.

2 Likes