Massdrop x THX AAA 789 Amplifier - Official Thread

massdrop

Bummed that I hesitated and missed this one.

0 Likes

So been listening to this more today… and with the Focal Clears it sounds wonderful balanced. Threw on my HD800(SDR) and was not pleased synergy was not good for me.

I went back to listening with my Bottlehead Crack and Cayin HA-1A MKII, with my HD800 … Much better!

I do like the THX 789 with the Focal lineup though, it has good synergy there, at least for me.

3 Likes

The 789 is unforgiving of any high range harshness or other issues. But it’s becoming “normal” to me over time.

4 Likes

What types of gain settings do you recommend with 789 and focal?

1 Like

I used the middle setting, during the majority of the time that I used it.

0 Likes

I run my 789 almost always in the middle setting. The dial is between 8:00 and 1:00 depending on the headphones. Focal Elex are set around 10:00.

The lowest setting may be required for IEMs or mobile headphones.

2 Likes

Back in stock, get em while they are hot!!!

2 Likes

You snooze, you lose. Sold out.

0 Likes

It’s really bizarre to me that given the demand for these things, they wouldn’t up the supply. Instead they upped the price, which seems like peanuts compared to what they could do if they actually meet the demand.

0 Likes

I think part of the price update is due to lack of parts + tariffs + inflation.

That said, I still am waiting for mine from the sale earlier this year. I dont know if I will end up keeping it though.

0 Likes

I got there while there were still 10 left, I hovered over the buy button until I saw “scheduled to ship in August”… I don’t have that much patience :smiley:

0 Likes

I agree with @antdroid that there must be supply chain issues. Knowing the competition, every day brings us closer to a knock-off or 7 with similar performance. Massdrop is losing potential profit and market dominance every day.

3 Likes

I feel ya. I bought mine a month ago second hand because I didn’t want to wait.

The amplifier is so pure and linear with my Focal Clears that it’s almost boring. I never thought I’d say that.

Cost of parts or making price match the demand, either way it’s smart for massdrop. It’s best to control supply to avoid being commoditized by oversupply in second hand market.

1 Like