Jazz Music Discussion

jazz

By the way, did you listen to any of the other YouTube versions of “Fried Pies”? I’m a long time fan of the late Stanley Turrentine, both his cover and Wes Montgomery’s are worth comparing.

I don’t often do playlists, but sometimes it’s fun to find a bunch of covers of the same song and hear how many artists do it. I’ve tried this with Stardust and with Route 66. Hard to get tired of listening.

Steve Smith is an interesting drummer. Very versatile. You can see how he’s changed by looking at the YouTube clip of him doing “Blade” about 30 years ago, and compare it with his recent work - say “Sister Cheryl” today. Steve is always rated in the top 10 or 20 drummers in the world and does everything from jazz through world and well … he is the drummer for Journey.

I will be sure and check them out

@pennstac Was Jaco Pastorius part of the line-up?

I think Jaco Pastorius joined Weather Report just afterwards. I graduated Penn State in November of 1975, and I think Spring of 75 was the second concert. I know there was Shorter, Zawinul, and Miroslav Vitous, so that would be an earlier linup.

@pennstac Either way, I am jealous. Weather Report is awesome. I saw the documentary of Jaco on Netflix. What a talent.

Zawinul, Zawinul, Zawinul. And Shorter. Yes they were good, great. Also helped with Larry Coryell in his Return to Forever days. But Coryell was an ego. Weather Report were regular guys. I wasn’t even in the Jazz Club, one of my good friends was, and they were drafting whomever they could for help. You got backstage, you got a seat near the stage, and you moved stuff around under direction and did a bit of light security.

In the Summer, I got to do something similar for the “Festival of Life”. Feature act was Exuma from the Obeah Man Album. Lots of other stuff too. Outdoors and good fun.

Thanks to you I bought Time Further Out and I’m loving it, honestly better than Time Out.

Just glad you found it. An album I will always treasure.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/14/637199001/jazz-in-the-21st-century-is-all-about-playing-changes

I was listening to this on my commute to drop off the daughter and go to the gym…pretty cool, I’m looking forward to playing some of the tracks and listening to some of the artists when I get home. Also I’ll be picking this book up.

Picked up The Best of Ken Burns Jazz has some really good early cuts, big band, bebop etc. It’s a nice sampler for one looking to get into Jazz. Also scored Michael Franks The Art of Tea both for 2 bucks at half price books.
Also been spinning Mile Davis Bitches Brew which is an altogether different beast.

Ken Burns. Now, " That’s what I’m talking about " I had the good fortune of my wife taking that course in college. She never gave up. She got her bachelor’s when she was 55. She had to buy the whole Ken Burns Jazz Cd. Anybody whose anyone in early jazz is in there. Yep! That’s all those guys who passed on this great genre.

IMHO, Jazz began to split up in the 1940’s-1950’s with the start of bebop and continued to splinter to this very day. Prior to the 1940,I would say that what we call jazz today was much closer to mainstream music and what we might call “pop” today.

JAZZ Thread/Group/Discussion

@frank_gyure2 expressed the hope that this thread might revive. In honor of you I’ll listen to some more Jazz and use that as inspiration for posting here. In the meantime, you may also enjoy the Jazz subreddit, which I find to be quite stimulating.

Since I know @frank_gyure2 enjoys classical as well, I’ll start my listening with

I haven’t actually listened to much Jazz-Classical fusion, but I enjoy Concierto de Aranjuez quite a bit. I actually heard the Miles Davis version before the original, and after finally listening to a performance of the original was struck by how faithful Miles stays to it. It’s immediately recognizable as itself, and while it leaves out a lot of the little guitar flourishes that make the original sound so “Spanish”, uses relatively sparser instrumentation and adds swing, the tempo and dynamics remain similar enough to the original that the overall feeling conveys. Like a Borg, he adds his own distinctiveness without compromising the integrity of the whole. Masterful!

EDIT - I should have mentioned that this sounds wonderful on my HD58X (from a Topping NX4). The Sennheiser 600 series gets a lot of kudos for vocal reproduction, but I think their strength extends well beyond this. This album has a lot of interesting percussion (most of which uses devices and instruments that I can’t name) and to my ear it sounds perfectly balanced and natural. For whatever reason, I find that a lot of headphones struggle with rendering percussion well, either lacking punch, lacking sparkle or going too far the other way and becoming shrill.

Thank you. I will try to listen to Miles Davis-Sketches of Spain and put my comments/opinions here. BTW,I feel that the music of Spain has been disregarded and deserves more listening. I will start listening to more Spanish music within my music collections.

One of my favorite recordings. I like it better than Kind of Blue. Very soulful. I’m also familiar with the guitar versions in numerous live renditions, never recorded.

@prfallon69 mentioned that he likes acoustic rock and eighties music.

You might enjoy this album, I do.

Sting brought together a good group of jazz musicians for his first solo album, including Branford Marsallis and Kenny Kirkland [RIP]. Kenny was still with him when I saw Sting perform in the 90’s. I never saw Branford but did see his little brother Jason once. Those Jazz sensibilities exerted an influence beyond just this album.

For whatever reason, New Orleans seems to produce some Jazz musicians with good pop sensibilities. Harry Connick Jr and Trombone Shorty are two who come to mind immediately. I think you might enjoy some of their work too.

Thanks@pwjazz I will certainly look into the sting album as well as the other artists. By the way I am loving the HD58x. It’s much more to my tastes than the HD 650. I think the HD58x pairs much better with my music than the HD650 especially acoustic. I have just picked up the Topping D50 Dac too. I am partial to the Ess Sabre Dac’s. I have paired it with the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3u Amp/Dac. Lots of power but wanted a change of Dac. Not had much time to play with it but it sounds very good so far.

-Paul-

Spanish Guitar playing is the most intricate and skilful I have heard. Very emotional to listen to. I just grabbed some playlists off Spotify one day and fell in love. I might have also used Amazon music for downloading them. I couldn’t name any artists but I may have to go back and look for some of my favourites. The European chap Miloš Karadaglić is outstanding too.

-Paul-

pwjazz… I am listening to Miles Davis/Sketches of Spain as I type this posting. I really like it. Thanks for the recommendation. There are both elements of traditional Spanish music and a fresh re-interpretation of the same.

Thanks to all who are jumping into this. I will say that I tend to be a traditionalist jazz listener. By itself that is a specific period within the Jazz Genre. When I listen to recordings made in the 1920’s-1930’s, the quality of the sound my be “bad” but the psychological factor gives it an extra-special variable factor. When it comes to JAZZ,we are looking at a solid 100 years of recorded music and development.