Focal Elegia, new closed-back headphones from Focal!

focal

They definitely sound very similar to the Clear. They don’t sound like an Elear with cups on them that’s for sure.

The cups are aluminum with some carbon fibre. The guys at the Focal booth from France said that was to help with rigidity so definitely not plastic cups.

It was a quick listening session today, tomorrow will be more in-depth since we will have to do less talking.

Early impressions are very good though. Might be lacking a little bit on the low-end for what people might expect from a closed headphone but others will definitely enjoy their more neutral sound.

I might have to pick these up… I need more closed backed headphones…and with the HD820 currently out of my willing to spend budget, these would fit nicely

Is there a time frame for release on these from you guys? I saw the pre-order, but curious on actual release (would rather buy local(ish) lol)

So I can’t give a for sure date. We were told a month after launch. However, usually whenever a new headphone launches, the date we are given and the date we actually receive it are quite different.

That being said though, we do have a couple early units to get our hands on for preview / review.

Until we get a final date from Focal though I can’t give a for sure shipping date.

No worries, just trying to figure out how long I have to wait lol. I am more than happy to give a listen and review with the preview program lol :wink: :wink:

A couple of Elegia shots from yesterday!

Focal Elegia - Closed Back Headphones - Official Thread

I didn’t really care for these. They sound claustrophobic in the head stage, and there’s something wrong with the mids that made me think they sounded hollow.

Hmm… I’ll have to be wary then and see what more reviews say…

They’re using the aluminum/magnesium dome, rather than the Utopia’s beryllium unit.

I still haven’t managed to drive any of my Focal cans to the point where I’ve encountered the excursion limit. We know it’s there … because Focal have said as much - as a deliberate design choice. But in any normal listening, which can get pretty damn loud for me, I’ve not run into it with any of the five current Focal cans I own (2x Utopia, Clear, Elear, Elex).

I spent some time with these on Saturday.

With all due cautions appropriate to listening in show/meet conditions (even with closed-back cans), I would say these are the tonal equivalent of the Clear and the technical equivalent of the Elear. Which, as I’ve said elsewhere, puts them in the same overall ball park as a closed-back Elex.

I will be getting my hands on a production/retail pair as soon as possible and doing a full review of them. That’ll be much more telling, since it’ll be with a familiar chain, music and in a suitably quite environment. I’ll also have some control over how they’ve been driven and how much time has been put on them (my understanding is that the show units were pretty much fresh from the box).

They’re a nice looking pair of headphones that’s for sure. I have seen a few comments now saying they are quite close to the Clears in sound. It will be interesting to see how much they retail for.

-Paul-

They are going for $900 USD. So not horrible, I’m looking forward to hearing more about them, I need more closed backed headphones.

I gave my son my AKG 550 mk2 headphones for gaming. But as usual he’s broken them within 3 months. Never again. So I don’t own any closed back headphones myself. Are you a big fan of closed backs or is it just that you have a need for them with regards isolation? And I know that you crave the HD820s.:grinning:

-Paul-

More the need for isolation, I prefer open back for regular listening. With the new job I need to find good closed backs so I don’t annoy others in my space. The Cascades and Purple Hearts are currently there but they leak sound quite a bit(specifically the purple heart being semi open).

but you have that mobius now dont you?

We’ve got a pair coming to the office next week with our initial shipment, should be receive more very soon. It’s very hard to judge a pair of headphones at a show so it will be good to have them in a more controllable environment.

I will also most definitely be trying them out on Vancouver’s transit to test their isolation and sensitivity by driving them through a number of portable devices. We will definitely have much more elaborate impressions next week along with a few others.

Really excited for them though because they seem like one of the first actually portable (weight doesn’t kill you, easily driven) high-end closed-backs that I could see easily being end-game for a lot of people. As long as the sound is good when we get our hands on them.

Also, they only come with one cable but the cable is much, much shorter than what you get with the Elear and Utopia meaning that its actually manageable.

Yes, but I picked that primarily for gaming… I may bring it into the office…maybe next week. I should do a review of it…

I’m excited to learn more about these, I’ll be looking forward to hearing your guys impressions and opinions on isolation and sound.

I found a way to hit the limit with my Elex – as an academic exercise and to find out if it was a real world risk.

Song: “Why So Serious?” from The Dark Knight soundtrack
Position: around 3 mins and 30 seconds

I ran the Elex using with the Massdrop CTH. My standard listening position is about 8:30 to 9:00, and the drivers started clicking around 1:00 or 1:30. Test over. Issue not relevant to me…

I bought my AEON Flow Closed just after the Focal closed announcement and just after the Massdrop X Mr.Speaker’s collaboration announcement. My purchase choice and timing was very conscious (as the other shoes had just dropped), and was based on available reviews of the AFC.

While I’m happy with the Elex, I personally wouldn’t want a second closed “Elex-ish” set of headphones. The Elear/Elex are physically large and heavy, and their audio profile is demanding/can exaggerate recording flaws. And so far, I’m extremely happy wrapped up in the precise buttery smoothness of the AFCs.