Do your ears ring?

I have had tinnitus forever it seems, it bothers me when it’s really quiet so usually I listen to music to drown it out.

50+ years of live music and baro-trauma and yes I have tinnitus. Also found out my hearing generally stops about 12Khz although this varies. Not sure any notch filters etc. are going to help. Explains why many headphones/iems that people find bright/splashy/harsh don’t seem to bother me.

I have tinnitus. The funny thing is that it isn’t from all the years of drumming I’ve done, as I have taken steps to protect my hearing as best I can. Of course, the drumming probably will have contributed a little bit over time, as its kind of unavoidable. The tinnitus mostly stems from when I was a very little kid and had continuous ear infections, as well as a surgery on my ears. I just do my best to watch my listening levels, especially if I’m going to be listening for an extended period of time. “If you think its too loud, it probably is…” seems to be the best way to go about things.

I keep a decibel reader on my desk, just to make sure I’m staying in my comfort zone. Good whiskey and good music tends to see me unconsciously turning the volume up. I also have tinnitus that stems from ear infections as a kid (lots of surfing in cold water I think contributed to this) loud car stereo phase in my twenties, and shooting guns in the military. Being more aware is helpful, also I carry db blocking earplugs now.

I used to be of that mind, but not so much now (see my other related posts in this forum). I now think tinnitus sometimes follows from non-resolvable auditory confusion – either through past damage at high volume, or neural interference and cross-talk at any volume. I say this from personal experience with quiet but inherently disorganized audio content.

Test track: Suzanne Vega Woman on the Tier, which includes female vocals over trash can percussion. Trash cans are effectively tuned white noise with a large amount of randomness. This particular song can cause instant hissing or ringing, and an extremely odd ‘fan’ sensation whereby the sounds seem to move in a plane. The sensation varies by playback method too.

General test: Pick your favorite live concert with an echoing large PA system. For example, many the videos of the Glastonbury Festival or other live festivals have this profile. For me, the studio versions of a given song are far less fatiguing/ringing. I interpret this as non-resolvable 2nd and 3rd order reflections.

My strategy has been to retrain my hearing to minimize ringing with clean, high quality systems–it truly works for me. Over time, my ability to resolve live echoes has improved substantially, but the trash cans remain true noise and problematic.

I have quite bad sinus problems sometimes which can lead to problems with blocked ears. Seems to be the left side which is worse. I sometimes get a little ringing but very infrequently to be honest. I am so glad it isn’t a permanent thing as it drives me round the bend.

I am always mindful of volume as I can be quite a bad volume nudger. Always asking myself is it too loud?

Mine fortunately do not ring. I went to audiologist a little while back and they told me frequencies about 95% in one ear and 85% in the other. Not bad for a 68 year old guy. I feel for those dedicated to music and equipment to hear it. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

I too have upper frequency loss. Down to around 1400khz now. For that reason I do like my treble a little hotter than some. I do feel blessed to not have tinnitus though.