Classical Music Discussion

classical

Paul… I would to say anyone who wants to listen to their first piece of “Classical Music” would be to listen to Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony. Ludwig’s 5th and 9th may get all the press but it was the Third,“The Eroica” that changed music. With the Eroica,Beethoven said that music means something and something special.

Thanks Frank, that will be my next download. I will let you know how I get on. Just listening to some Strauss on a playlist nice and gentle when next piece comes on and nearly blows my ears off. Igor Stravinsky The Rite of Spring (Le Sacre
du printemps).:dash::grinning::dash:

-Paul-

Well I’m glad you put the quotes around “Classical Music” when discussing Ludwig Van B, because he’s past the classical period, a “romantic” composer. My favorite is the Pastorale, the 6th. Critics generally like the odd numbered symphonies best, but for me, the 6th is the essence of romanticism.

And the symphony isn’t the only form in which to enjoy Beethoven.

A music appreciation class is well worth the time. You learn to appreciate how each era builds on - or rejects - the previous.

Bach, Handel, and Telemann are all worth a good listen, followed by Mozart, and Beethoven.

Then all of the later ones :wink:

Hi Everyone. I just came across a recording that sounds great-artistically and acoustically. It is Danill Trifonov with the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin. It is a combination of Rachmaninoff and Bach. So you are covering about 300 years of music. It sounds great. It is accessible to anyone who is interested. Please give it a try. I would love to hear any opinions.

ok…pennstac … we will need to have a good friendly discussion of “WHAT IS CLASSICAL MUSIC?” I understand that you are using the word “Classical” as comprising Mozart,Haydn etc. The period between Baroque and Romantic Eras with the total timespan that most of us consider as “Classical Music” and IMHO, continues to this day. So,what I am saying, is that within the Classical Music Genre, there are specific genres; baroque,classical,romantic and then we get into the World War Periods and beyond to this very day. IMHO,I don’t thing we should strictly label classical music as part of the classical era/period(Mozart,Haydn).

Hey…Paul… Are you listening to Richard Strauss or The Strauss family-the Strauss waltzes???

That is extremely difficult. If,absolutely forced to. I would choose Beethoven’s Symphony #5. It is music that lifts the soul,makes everyone who listens to it a hero and just sweeps everything away. I remember going to a Carnegie Hall concert just a about a month after 9/11. Various concerts had already been cancelled and nobody knew what was going on. The Berlin Philharmonic decided to come to NYC. Prior to the performance,a representative from the BPO came out and said “Ich bin ein New Yorkers” … We are all New Yorkers. This was a return of hope after President John F. Kennedy initially had said “Ich bin ein Berliners” at the height of the Cold war. Beethoven’s 5th may be seen as a “warhorse” but it remains a seminal moment across several centuries. It’s just electrifying.

I think it may have been a waltz. I’m not entirely sure as it was a part of a big Audiophile Classical music playlist on Spotify. I think the Album was called The Classical Experience 135 of the greatest classical tracks. So a compilation sort of thing. It was Johann Strauss II it was a Waltz Op.314. Very popular one I’ve heard lots before. But very good, nice and relaxing and easy going.

-Paul-

I listened to Beethoven’s symphony #3 last night and it was marvellous. Compilations are all well and good but you get no continuity and they only put the popular little snippets on. With the whole symphony you get the whole story. Each piece as intended. I really enjoyed it. I will need to go through it a good few times again though. There’s a lot to take in and I want to be able to hear it in different ways if you get my meaning. I just lay back and listened last night. Next time maybe a little bit more listening maybe.

-Paul-

Paul…that is the challenge. Most compilations don’t work. It is possible with a well curated list. However,most classical music is written from the very first note to the very last note. You cite the Beethoven 3rd…possibly the greatest “classical” music ever written. It was revolutionary. The entire piece belongs together and,IMHO, many listeners will hear and feel that.

BRAVO! It’s hard to find the right name for the overall category. Orchestral music is possible, but there is much in the way of chamber music that is from the Classical period. I am fully aware that the common usage of Classical music covers a lot of ground, and many people lump avant-garde Hindemith and Kronos Quartet into the area of Classical, when it’s anything but.

All we can really say it’s not Pop, not Jazz, not Rock, not Blues, not Funk, not Soul, not Broadway, not Reggae.
And this ignores the whole of eastern music, where there is certainly an Indian classical genre.

I’m just exercising my cranky old dude personna here so that people who are new to “Classical Music” get the picture that it’s at least as varied as types of beer. :wink:

Oh yeah, and @prfallon69 needs to download the 6th. I like to listen to it on a sunny afternoon, when I can fully appreciate its scope and the vistas it paints.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will download this one next.

-Paul-

I look forward to your commentary. You’re in for a treat.

I couldn’t wait to make a comment on a recording I just listened to.

Between my library and Tidal I probably have access to a half of dozen performances of Tchaikovsky “1812”

Like most, everything is subjective. I finished hearing the “1812 Overture” . It was the Erich Kunzel w/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra . with Kiev Symphony Chorus and Children’s Choir of Cincinnati

To me this is the most realistic recording of this wonderful composition. The choir is so beautiful and adds so much to this piece.

As I listened my body felt chills all over it. Bravo ! :stuck_out_tongue:

I find Wikipedia’s definition useful here.

Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western culture, including both liturgical (religious) and secular music.

Percy…that is a good start. But then one needs to define “art music.” I would think that jazz enthusiasts( and enthusiasts of “other” music genres) would feel that jazz is “art music” as well. I will use this quote from Duke Ellington. Ellington was asked about good/bad music. This was his reply and I quote," There are simply two kinds of music , good music and the other kind … the only yardstick by which the result should be judged is simply that of how it sounds. If it sounds good it’s successful; if it doesn’t it has failed. Where Is Jazz Going?" I think that is a great basis or foundation to start talking about music in any genre.

I have that recording(in physical form as in CD,SACD-Super Audio Compact Disc). I don’t know which form of recording you have but this CD/SACD was also made to take advantage of the SACD multi-channel ability. I am curious.The liner notes are especially thorough. The SACD also has the 5 channel set-up. I am curious. What form of this recording do you have?

It is the multi-channel version. I believe it is the latest. It says it is a DSD recording. I assume they mean from master tapes. I do have a couple others around including the old Telarc. They were not with the choir. I still can’t get it out of my head. One of my very favorites now.

Helpfully, Wikipedia defines this too :slight_smile:

Art music (alternately called classical music , cultivated music , serious music , and canonic music )[1] is music that implies advanced structural and theoretical considerations[2] or a written musical tradition.

However, as you note, the line between between “art music” and “popular music” is blurry, as it has been for a long time. Take for instance something like the Waltz, which many today might associate with high culture and classical “art music”, but which like many dance forms actually originated amongst peasants as a popular folk dance. I might suggest that the point at which knowledge about a form goes from being transmitted through informal, oral tradition into instead being documented, analyzed, codified and discussed by intellectuals, is the point at which it truly becomes “art music”.

We also see similar patterns in high culture’s adoption of other vernacular art, for example the relatively recent recognition of some graffiti as fine art.

Perhaps a meaningful distinction is in the intended audience. “High” art like “classical” music or fine paintings and sculpture was (and still is) often produced for the benefit of a small number of wealthy patrons, whereas “popular” art like pop music or graffiti is typically produced for the benefit of a much larger audience, often one with relatively shallow pockets.

I don’t know that this leaves us any closer to an answer, other than maybe “it doesn’t matter!”. I don’t need to categorize music in order to enjoy it, and I often find the least categorizable music to be the most enjoyable.