Chord Electronics

chord

Chord Electronics, founded by electronics engineer John Franks, in the UK in 1989, is a high-end audio manufacturer that was spawned out of work John did on power-supply design in the avionics industry. Starting with a founding belief that clean, stable, power delivery was fundamental to high-quality audio design, Chord’s product range has expanded to include everything from amplifiers (pre, power and integrated), CD players, DACs and DAC/Amps, portable DAC/Amps, phono stages, streamers and their latest upscaling/filtering “M-Scaler” products.

In headphone/personal audio circles Chord are probably best known for their DAC/Amp products, designed in partnership with Rob Watts. These first saw life with the award winning Hugo portable and today includes the portable Mojo, Hugo 2, desktop Qutest DAC and Hugo TT 2 and the flagship DAVE DAC/Amp.

This is the spot for general discussion about Chord Electronics.

I believe, there is no Qutest thread so I’m gonna ask the question here. Hows the Chord Qutest compare to new version of Gunnir Multibit? Is it about the same sonic performance or close enough that you guys would recommend it?

I like the form-factor and I dont think I care much about having no XLR outputs. Any impressions of Qutest also welcomed! Thanks!

The “current” Gungnir Multibit and the Qutest are tonally relatively similar.

The “current” Gungnir Multibit exhibits better macro-dynamic performance, somewhat better slam, and a more intimate, but equally stable stage as the Qutest. The Qutest has greater clarity, a blacker background, superior micro-dynamics and a more expansive stage with better separation/layering.

Both are excellent DACs, with the Gungnir Multibit offering better value, especially if you need balanced output and don’t listen to a lot of native DSD content.