64 Audio tia Fourté - Universal IEM - Official Thread

iems
64-audio

64 Audio’stia Fourté”, so named due to the drivers and configuration of the unit, was 64Audio’s first IEM release using their new “tia” (tubeless in-ear audio) open drivers, “Apex” (Air Pressure Exchange) pressure (and fatigue) relieving vent, combined with an tuned acoustic enclosure.

They combine two of the new “tia” drivers, one for the highs, one for the mid-range, a BA high-mid driver and a dynamic low-frequency driver, the outputs from which converge and mix in a specially tuned acoustic chamber (which is the part that makes creating a custom-fit version a challenge) to produce their sound. And that’s couple with the equivalent of the M20 Apex model, yielding -20 dB of environmental isolation and impressive bass delivery.

This is the spot to discuss them …

64 Audio

Hey Guys,

I got my 64 Audio Tia Fourte’s in today. I’m been listening to them all day, so I hope I can offer some further initial impressions vs. The very short ones I posted of all the 64 Audio universals the other day.

Pro’s: Amazing soundstage/imaging for a closed IEM. Very “3D.” Hyper Detailed top to bottom. Great Dynamics. Very comfortable.

Con’s: PRICE. The overall coherency of the bass/mids/treble. Treble could be too much for those sensitive to treble. Included accessories.

The packaging is pretty basic, but all that you need really. I guess they could have gone a bit more upmarket, but if that would have been reflected in the asking price, then I’m glad they kept it the way it is. The Hifiman RE2000 packaging (and this is Hifiman we are talking about) is more impressive, and even includes more tips. That is one thing I wish 64 Audio had done, more tips. Lots more. Included are single flange silicon tips in SML, and 64 Audios foam tips in SML. I’ve been going back and forth between the silicons and foam tips today, and the results have been pretty surprising. More on that later. The included cable is pretty bad in terms of ergonomics to be honest. I’d like to change to a different cable (currently using an LCDi4 cable I had lying around) at some point that is comfier and a bit less likely to get tangled. They also come with a neat little hard plastic case to keep them safe when you are travelling, which is great. So yeah, included accessories could be better, but there is enough to get you going.

In terms of tips, I prefer the sound of the 64 Audio foam tips with the Fourte. They take a tiny bit of the edge off the highs, whereas the silicon tips make the highs more pronounced. The Foams also seem to bring up the bass a tiny little bit, but there isn’t much difference. I find the silicon tips more comfortable, but the foam tips do sound better, so I will try to get used to the foams.

For my personal taste, the Fourte is a tiny bit bass light, but I mostly listen to electronica and do prefer a pretty robust bass response. I’ve tried bumping the bass up a couple db via EQ, and that brings the bass level more in line with my personal preferences. However, I could definitely listen to the Fourte without EQ, they aren’t bass light by any means. The bass on the Fourte seems really…textured? Lots of detail to it. Its certainly not a one note bass experience, and the sub bass is pleasant.

I can see the mids of the Fourte being a problem for some people in that they aren’t super lush and warm like a pair of LCD-2 or something similar. However, the mids are very detailed, and not sucked out sounding. They don’t sound hollow.

The Highs are both the Fourtes strongest point, and for some I would imagine their weakest point. There is a fair amount of treble. If you are treble sensitive, these would not be a good choice of earphone. There is so much air and space, and detail to the treble. It is really impressive.

The soundstage is the widest I have heard from a pair of closed back earphones. Not as wide as the LCDi4, but close. A tiny bit wider than the Hifiman RE2000, but with more depth. Very precise imaging.

I can see why some people don’t like these earphones, they definitely have some weaknesses. However, for my ears, their strong points are very strong. I definitely recommend giving Fourte a listen if you get the chance.

These seem just up my street. I like plenty of treble with plenty of air. Seems like these would be my end game iem’s. But that price though.

I think @ufospls2 is selling his pair … :wink:

I’m definitely keeping mine though. I expect they’ll be the next item I post a full review for too.

As a good example of how preferences play into these things, where @ufopls2 finds them a tiny bit bass light (and having chatted at length with him about many things I have a good idea where he likes his bass), I find the bass level very close to perfect for me. Any more and I’d be putting them into the “bass centric” or “basshead” category (the Campfire Audio Vega are, for example, a good bit bassier than the tia Fourté).

They’re certainly incredibly articulate and detailed in the lowest registers with excellent texture, impact and slam.

They’re definitely not neutral either. Bass and treble are both emphasized. The treble seems a bit more present than I think it actually is, perhaps due to the extreme resolution and detail they portray.

The EE Zeus XR in “R” mode are a much more neutral experience. Though they do not have anything like the low-end drive, impact or texture of the tia Fourté.

I’ve had them in my ears for 8 hours today (with SpinFit CP240 tips) and have experienced no fatigue or discomfort. As with ADEL on the legacy EE models, the APEX venting really seems to help in that regard (at the cost of some isolation).

I’d agree with @ufospls2 that, despite a number of extremely impressive technical traits, they’re not going to be for everyone. And not just because of how much they cost.

Thanks very much for your detailed thoughts. I am very much in love with the sound of my Andromeda’s but if I had plenty of disposable income (which at the moment I don’t have) these would be my first purchase iem wise.

The Andromeda are a formidable IEM, for sure.

Given the right source (specifically something with about a 2 ohm output impedance) they’re more neutral than the tia Fourté (out of my primary player the bass tends to get away from them).

I just wish the nozzles were smaller than they’d put that Cerakote finish on all of them.

I auditioned them during the tour the ‘other’ place ran. Very nice indeed, I too am not a basshead and found them very appealing. What really hooked me was the detail throughout. I was also very impressed by the soundstage. The price? not so much. A week with them, and the U18t and I found I preferred the U18t but to be honest I just couldn’t put my finger on exactly why. I own the U4SE which surprisingly gets me 85% of the way to the TOTL models.
If I had the funds I’d probably be looking at the 18t much more seriously, as it is mortgage, kids, car payments takes precedence.